I am Heather Vaughan-Southard.
I am a Movement Designer. I guide people in building connection; transforming problems in bodies, minds, spirits, classrooms, organizations, and communities through movement and the creative process.
Art and Science drive my work. Each class, course, workshop, and presentation I design takes the participant from function to articulation to expression.
HVS_MovementStudies represents the work I do with individuals, groups, organizations, and audiences. Sometimes this involves a full-bodied experience, and sometimes it doesn’t. I offer individual and small groups sessions in person or virtually connected, as well as large group experiential workshops and teacher training.
My training has come in the fields of dance, education, and somatics. My life experiences and research have shaped how I web ideas together to create a safety net for my clients and my dance/teaching artists to create change for themselves and the world we share.
My clients include:
- people looking to find a new normal in physical capacity and social-emotional wellness,
- educators of movement or other subjects looking to improve the depth and experience of their students,
- professionals of many fields wanting to use movement as a source of inquiry and research.
My credentials include:
- Director of Professional Learning for the Michigan Arts Education, Instruction, and Assessment project (MAEIA)
- National Presenter in the fields of Dance Education, Pedagogy, Education, Somatics
- Directing K-12 Dance programs in urban and suburban districts
- Directing and Teaching in Dance Programs in Higher Education
- MFA and BFA degrees in Dance Performance and Choreography
- Professional Performance and Choreography credits: Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, Michigan
- Comprehensive pilates training through the McEntire School
- Board Member of the Michigan Dance Council
Please do not use my words or my pictures without my written permission. As for the ideas, feel free to borrow and adapt. I simply request that you give me appropriate credit for what is truly my own and let me know how things go. Join me in conversation.