June. Finally. It has been a long, arduous year but there has still plenty to be grateful for. I am glad for summer; time to process and write. Here’s what has happened in my 2013-14 academic year. Let the processing (and writing) commence!
- Survived perhaps the most challenging teaching year of my career.
- Thrived in the most fabulous middle school teaching experiences I’ve mustered yet.
- Directed the repertory dance concert at Michigan State University.
- Contributed to the creative team of Theatre Engine, a grant-funded research project at MSU, headed by the fabulous Alison Dobbins.
- Created HS assessment items for the Michigan Arts Education Instruction and Assessment Project (MAEIA).
- Presented professional development to various organizations on Arts Integration.
- Continue to write for Dance Advantage.
- Developing new workshop presentation based on empathy-filled engagement and teaching.
- NDEO (National Dance Education Organization) proposal for presentation at the national conference accepted. Will present Embodying Knowledge: Aiding Struggling Learners through Arts Integration, with Karen Hicks, in Chicago this November.
- Continue to find great joy and love in our marriage and family life.
- Dabbling in writing knitting patterns and learning to knit cables.
- Found major sources of inspiration in the work of Brené Brown, Malcolm Gladwell, Anna Halprin, Ohad Naharin, and more.
- Renewed commitments to living the good life and taking time and steps to ensure that.
- Disneyland for spring break!
- Started sketching again.
- New writing project (eventually this will cross to professional category).
Will return again soon and as always….thanks for reading.